Monday, November 13, 2006

Records vs. Cd's vs. itunes

itunes, the wave of the future? Or just another passing fad?
Like anyone else my age, I have an ipod and have been enjoying it since I got it. But is itunes and downloadable music the wave of the future? Or is it just another passing fad?…I grew up in the 90's and have been raised on Cd's, my first Cd was from the one hit wonder band Aqua, yes I realize it was not much to brag about but that CD created much controversy with its song 'Barbie Girl' and was even involved in a Lawsuit with Mattel, but moving on. Growing up with Cd's I have created quite a collection and still look forward to new ones coming out. One of my friends asked me why I was still buying them and why I didn’t just buy an itunes card and download them off the internet. Cd's have become part of my lifestyle; I love having a cd collection and still enjoy going out to HMV or wherever it is and buying new ones when they are released. They have become the Vinyl's of my generation, when cassettes came out some people were reluctant to switch over because records were such a big thing. It was not all about the quality of the music; it was everything from the cool record sleeves to the joy of being able to add another record to your collection. Cd's are the same to my generation, I like being able to get a new cd that has an awesome cover and a cool cd booklet that contains everything from art by the lead singer like rob zombie or random statistics about earth from our lady peace in healthy in paranoid times. Many people believe that downloadable music is the wave of the future and will replace cd's in the near future, I partially agree in that it is part of the future but I don’t think that it will replace cd's altogether, look at records, they are still around today and people still buy them. There are still shops in downtown area's that thrive only on the business of selling records, if they can still succeed off of that then there are no stopping cd's anytime soon. The technology is evolving so fast and so quickly that they are putting cd players everywhere as welling as making things compatible with ipod's and mp3 players. I would much rather buy a new CD and then put it onto my ipod then just buying an itunes card and downloading the songs, I cant even count how many times I have downloaded a song and accidentally deleted it and then cursed myself, with pulling it off of a CD you do not have that problem. In the end I believe that it will take something much stronger then downloadable music to kick cd's completely out of the picture, I plan on keeping every cd I own and buying more to add to my collection.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I know I am showing my age, but as someone who thought the advent of the eight track tape was revolutionary, I have to agree with you that there will be lots of new technology evolving over time. The eight track wasn't intended to replace vinyl, it was to allow us for the first time, to listen to recorded music in our cars uninteruppted by a radio announcer. That was pretty significant! Here lies the difference, iPods allow you to take your own personal music selections pretty much anywhere, without worrying about the CD skipping, or having to listen to all the songs on the CD; only the ones you like. This too is significant. Downloading of music is probably not the "be all and end all" of music technology,and your right about the collector's desire to have something tangible to add to thier collection. Will CD's hold the same interest for collectors in thiry years from now?... or will they suffer the same yard sale fate as eight tracks. Only time will tell! Let me know, I will be in a nursing home somewhere drooling and trying to remember what those round things are in the square cases.

lincat5 said...

CDs vs. itunes. Definitely CD's. As I am old enough to remember LP's (both 45's and 33 1/3's), and long despairingly for their sad fate, I can at least find some comfort in the fact that CD cases are reminscent of albums. The artwork and enclosed goodies aren't usually nearly as fine or meticulous, but at least it's there, it's something to keep, to look at, to collect. Instant downloadables are nice, cool, handy, etc., but are they the absolutely future? I doubt it. But if they are, I know I will be among many who will still keep my old CD's - probably in the same closet as my old LP's. Having something tangible to hold in your hand is a good thing.