Sunday, November 05, 2006

Word of the day: Nov 5 2006


Todays word of the day is: Hogmanay

Definition: The name, in Scotland, for New Year's Eve, on which children go about singing and asking for gifts. A large New years eve celebration. Hogmanay celebrations date back to the 16th century when the canny Scots, irked by the Kirk's decision to ban Christmas, used it as a way of having a party

Where i found it: My dad was born in scotland and I have a Scottish background, so I like many things that are scottish, also a friend of mine and his family spent a few weeks visiting their family in Scotland and they were talking about celebrating New Years Eve there and how fun it was, so I decided to do a little bit of research on it and now im using it as my word of the day. The picture is from the 2005 celebration.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Greg, this was really interesting and not something I knew. Sarah enjoyed it too since she is also of Scottish decent. Thanks! L.